Every year, Tulane's NROTC Battalion hosts one of the largest drill meets in the nation. Traditionally held on the Friday before Fat Tuesday, the battalion faces one of its most difficult tasks all year - meticulously planning, executing, and debriefing the Tulane NROTC Mardi Gras Drill meet. This year's event will be held on Friday, February 21, 2020 with events taking place throughout Tulane University's campus.
The Drill Meet will consist of the following events and personnel requirements (there is no minimum amount of events required to participate in our Drill Meet):
- Platoon Inspection - The platoon will consist of seventeen (17) or more members formed into three (3) squads, to include the platoon commander and the platoon guide. If less than seventeen (17) participants, there will be a 5-point penalty for each member missing. The minimum number of personnel needed to compete without disqualification is fourteen (14) members.
- Platoon Armed Basic Drill - The platoon will consist of seventeen (17) or more members formed into three (3) squads, to include the platoon commander and the platoon guide. If less than seventeen (17) participants, there will be a 5-point penalty for each member missing. The minimum number of personnel without disqualification is fourteen (14) members.
- Squad Armed Basic Drill - The squad will consist of seven (7) and no more than nine (9) members. If less than seven (7) participants, there will be a 5-point penalty for each member missing. The minimum number of personnel without disqualification is five (5) members.
- Color Guard - All NROTC unit color guards shall consist of five team members: three color bearers (National Colors, and Navy and Marine Corps Colors) and two rifle bearers. Army and Air Force ROTC units shall consist of four members: two color bearers and two rifle bearers. If any members are missing, it will result in a disqualification.
- Platoon Armed Exhibition - Platoons may be of any composition and will consist of eleven (11) or more members. If less than eleven (11) participants, there will be a 5-point penalty for each member missing. The minimum number of personnel without disqualification is nine (9) members.
- Individual Exhibition - Each school may have a maximum of two individuals compete in this event. Each individual will compete as an individual; there is no tandem competition.
Registration for the 2020 Mardi Gras Drill Meet is now closed.
Track the live scores of your teams. LIVE SCORE TRACKER
Good luck to all of our 2020 Mardi Gras Drill Meet competitors!
2020 Mardi Gras Drill Meet SOP
A 50% down payment is required with your registration form to confirm your spot in the Drill Meet. The remaining payment is due by 21 February, 2020. Payments can be made electronically to the Tulane NROTC Midshipman Fund Venmo account (@TUNROTC_Midshipman_Fund) or via check mailed to:
Tulane University NROTC
6823 St. Charles Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70118
Confirmation of payment will be sent within 24 hours of receipt.
*Please note, there will no longer be an early registration special discount.
The Tulane NROTC Unit cannot provide lodging (in our unit’s building or otherwise) for participating units. We also do not have any agreements with hotels in New Orleans for Mardi Gras weekend. If units are having difficulties finding lodging in New Orleans, we recommend the Navy Gateway Inn at NAS Belle Chasse or hotels in the surrounding area such as Kenner (near the airport), Metairie, Gretna, and Slidell.
Mardi Gras Parades:
If you think your unit may be interested in seeing or marching in a Mardi Gras parade while here in New Orleans, refer to these links below. Units can often be paid for marching and it can be a great way to fundraise or offset registration/lodging expenses.
For any other questions or concerns regarding the 2020 Mardi Gras Drill Meet please email TulaneNavyROTC@gmail.com and CC email@example.com
We look forward to hosting you all here on our beautiful New Orleans campus!